Multiple Endpoints

em12345 em12345 at web.de
Sat Jan 7 17:45:35 CET 2017

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure that I'm understanding the roaming feature in WireGuard.

>From your response it sounds like once a connection is established, then
the server can inform the client about a server IP change.

This would require PersistentKeepalive on "server" side. But assuming
the common case that the client sits behind a stateful firewall, how
would the server be able to inform the client about its IP change?

On a server IP change:

- the client still sends UDP packages to old server IP, which is useless

- the server (from its new IP) can send UDP packages to the still
remembered client IP (because of PersistentKeepalive). But my
understanding is that stateful firewalls will block UDP packages from
the new IP until the client has send an UDP to the new server IP.

So in such a scenario the roaming feature wouldn't help.

Thanks

Emmanuel