Built-in Roaming is limited due to a design fault adding STUN and TURN support would be good and make wire-guard connections more durable.

Dan Lüdtke mail at danrl.com
Sun Jan 15 09:39:09 CET 2017

Hi Peter,

I followed this thread and like to express some concerns. Although I see the problem and ran into it myself, I would like to see a solution outside the wireguard code. Like the one Jason proposed or even a new approach. I am afraid that network layers problems (legacy IP and especially NAT) are about to uglify yet another beautiful protocol. None of the problems stated in this thread have I ever observed in an dual stack or in a IP (read IPv6) environment. This is all inconvenience that legacy IP (read IPv4) brings and that is caused by ten+ years of overprovisioning and not taking care of the network layer of the infrastructure. It is 2017, run IPv6. There should not be a single line of code in wireguard that deals with broken infrastructure. There is plenty of room for all kinds of workarounds in the userspace. Like the scripts in the Wireguard repository. I see the problem, agree on it, but It is out of the scope for wireguard to solve. The infrastructure must be able to somehow connect to peers via UDP. That is I think the least one can expect from a network layer. Whatever _outside_ magic it may need due to historical protocol usage.

My concerns expressed and all that said, I would love to see some code or PoC. Code and pcaps are king :)

I solved the problem using ipv6 only when I ran into it. May require to finally invest in state of the art layer 3 protocol usage in some cases. However, it's overdue anyway. Wireguards roaming feature tool care of the sites where even the ipv6 prefix changes from time to time. HTH.

Cheers,

Dan