Installation instructions for Debian

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jul 12 01:36:02 CEST 2017

On Sat 2017-07-08 16:14:02 +0200, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:

> I think there is a small mistake in the installation instruction for
> Debian, sorry about that: the "Pin-Priority" should be set to 150 instead
> of 200.
>
> Long explanation: on jessie, the jessie-backports repository also has a
> priority of 200.  After enabling unstable with the same priority, APT will
> propose to upgrade all packages from jessie-backports to unstable, which
> is probably not wanted nor expected.
>
> Daniel, does that all make sense?

Yep, that sounds reasonable to me.  fwiw, apt_preferences(5) indicates
what the different cutoffs for priorities are, and explains why
jessie-backports defaults to something in the 200 range ("NotAutomatic:
yes" and "ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes"), and 150 should still have the
same properties (it's above 100, but below 500).

     --dkg