[Question] - Would it be possible to have the ip commands in ifconfig?

Jose Marinez jedi_papi at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 20:24:33 CEST 2017

 blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Hi Guys,
First, great work on Wireguard!!
I have a linux server configured with wireguard running well with other linux computers working. I’d like to extend that to a few macOS computers we have. I know the project at the moment is only for Linux, but I saw the distribution package and decided to give it a try. For the last 4 days I’ve been jumping through hoops trying to get this working. At first, it took so long mainly because I was attempting to connect from the latest macOS 10.13 beta - bad idea, yes I know. However, when I attempted to do this from the stable version, things were much better, but still haven’t been able to connect.  Here’s why:
The package for wireguard on the mac only includes wg, you don’t get wg-quick or any other tools. Not a big deal, but it makes a difference specially because the quick start instructions use ip-link and other ip related commands. Unfortunately, on the mac there’s no official release of ip-link and the iproute2mac brew package is only a subset of iproute2 so it doesn’t work. I know that ip is the future replacement for ifconfig, but ifconfig is practically everywhere there’s a POSIX-like OS. To make matters worse, even the “classic” capabilities for setting up routing on linux with netns are not available on the mac either.
Forgive my naïveté - I’m a developer, not a network engineer - but if I had the ifconfig (perhaps also vconfig) versions of the following quick start commands, plus the official wg for the mac, wouldn’t I be able to connect?:
ip link add dev wg0 type wireguard
ip address add dev wg0 IPRANGEip link set up dev wg0

Last, but not least... I’m very interested in the Rust version of wireguard. I read the code and the readme, but I couldn’t tell what the exact capabilities and limitations are as a cross-platform userspace implementation. Could one redirect all internet traffic through it? Would it work on the mac as it is?
Thanks again,Jose