Encapsulation

Peter Wu peter at lekensteyn.nl
Thu Mar 2 17:58:17 CET 2017

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 05:38:01PM -0800, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Wed 2017-03-01 16:38:05 -0800, James Wilson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, how does a "wireguard packet' look like on the wire
> > ??
> >
> > I'm guessing:
> >
> >  Ethernet
> >  IP
> >  UDP
> > |------------------|
> > | IP               |
> > | WG payload       |
> > |------------------|
> >

> > What's in the box is encrypted
> >
> > Is that right ?? If not, what does it look like?
>
> I believe the cleartext (after decryption) is an actual IP packet, so
> everything from layer3 up the stack.

It is more like:

    Ethernet
    IP (to WireGuard peer)
    UDP (UDP payload is as follows:)
        WireGuard header (type, counter)
        Packet (encrypted, decrypted contents are as follows:)
            IP (original)
            (IP payload like ICMP, TCP, etc.)

If it helps, see this picture of the packet dissection for an ICMP
packet tunneled over WireGuard: https://i.imgur.com/MzubvX3.png

> If anyone wants to document this sort of thing explicitly in a useful
> way, you might consider writing a wireshark dissector:

As you can see above I have already been working on one and will publish
it soon after adding some documentation. :-)
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu