wg-quick can't down my vpn I/F and DNS problem

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Tue May 2 17:27:52 CEST 2017

Debian jessie + backports - arch amd64
wireguard-dkms  0.0.20170421-wg1~zesty
wireguard-tools 0.0.20170421-wg1~zesty
======================================

Hi list,

I've a very simple setup:
LAN: 192.168.1.0/24
VPN: 10.11.12.0/24

if wg-quick raises the VPN smoothly and although it's working perfectly
and damned fast, if fails when trying to take it down with the
following error:
wg-quick: `vpnserver' is not a WireGuard interface

the only way I found to stop it is to use 2 lines:
ip link del vpnserver
rmmod wireguard

why is that?

The 2 machines I test on are also DNS, but once the vpn's connected, I
lose all possibility of name resolution - It might be tied to
resolvconf, but I'm not tough enough to know what to do.
(NB: I *want* these because bind is passing through dnscrypt-proxy,
leaving no traces of DNS external requests)

How can I fix that?

Jean-Yves