[ANNOUNCE] WireGuard Snapshot `0.0.20171111` Available

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sat Nov 11 04:39:02 CET 2017

Hello,

A new snapshot, `0.0.20171111`, has been tagged in the git repository.

Please note that this snapshot is, like the rest of the project at this point
in time, experimental, and does not consitute a real release that would be
considered secure and bug-free. WireGuard is generally thought to be fairly
stable, and most likely will not crash your computer (though it may).
However, as this is a pre-release snapshot, it comes with no guarantees, and
its security is not yet to be depended on; it is not applicable for CVEs.

With all that said, if you'd like to test this snapshot out, there are a
few relevent changes.

== Changes ==

  * Kconfig: remove trailing whitespace
  * allowedips: rename from routingtable
  * tools: remove ioctl cruft
  * global: revert checkpatch.pl changes

  Cleanliness.

  * device: please lockdep
  * device: wait for all peers to be freed before destroying

  These make the various checkers happy.

  * netlink: plug memory leak
  * qemu: check for memory leaks

  There was a small memory leak on the netlink configuration layer that's now
  been fixed.

  * receive: hoist fpu outside of receive loop

  Should be a small speedup on x86_64.

  * qemu: more debugging
  * qemu: bump kernel version

  Significantly more debugging checkers have been turned on.

  * wg-quick: stat the correct enclosing folder of config file
  * wg-quick: allow for tabs in keys

  Minor fixups for wg-quick(8).

  * compat: 4.4.0 has strange ECN function

  Nobody actually runs base 4.4.0, but this is more correct anyway.

  * netlink: make sure we reserve space for NLMSG_DONE

  A rather important change - due to an upstream kernel bug, that's existed
  since the advent of netlink itself, sometimes wg(8) failed to receive valid
  data back from kernelspace, resulting in "ENOBUFS" when trying to dump all
  peers. This patch works around it while we wait for upstream to commit the
  fix.

  * curve25519: reject deriving from NULL private keys
  * tools: allow for NULL keys everywhere

  A null 25519 private point isn't a valid point (prior to normalization), which
  is why we use it as the "unsetting" value. Conversely, however, except for
  psk, we should be using the existence of it in the netlink message being an
  indication of whether or not it's set, for the tools.

As always, the source is available at https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/ and
information about the project is available at https://www.wireguard.com/ .

This snapshot is available in tarball form here:
  https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/snapshot/WireGuard-0.0.20171111.tar.xz
  SHA2-256: d9347786a9406ac276d86321ca64aadb1f0639cb0582c6e0519c634cf6e81157
  BLAKE2b-256: d77e1b04bdc970a0bdf9b699b08786907ddd9d763f0573dfbe130b7a587aac78

If you're a snapshot package maintainer, please bump your package version. If
you're a user, the WireGuard team welcomes any and all feedback on this latest
snapshot.

Finally, WireGuard development thrives on donations. By popular demand, we
have a webpage for this: https://www.wireguard.com/donations/

Thank you,
Jason Donenfeld