Request: Optional "Comment" [Peer] entry

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Fri Nov 17 10:20:10 CET 2017

Hi Lonnie,

Quite a few people have requested this, and I've implemented it, but
never had the motivation to merge it. I keep hesitating between
thinking that it's a reasonable thing to want, and thinking that it's
not appropriate to have in a low level tool, and that whatever
configuration management apparatus you're using should handle it
instead. Usually I just defer thinking about it until later, but given
it's come up again, I probably should revisit the issue. There is some
precedent for this kind of thing: net devices have ifalias and
iptables has the comment target. However, routes in the routing table
don't have comments, and neither do IP address assignments on
interfaces (unless you're counting rDNS). So, hm. I'll think about it.