Easily adding WireGuard to Android ROMs

Daniel McCarney daniel at binaryparadox.net
Sat Nov 25 16:38:55 CET 2017

Hi Folks,

On 25/11, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>So, if any of you on this list are into building your own Android ROMs
>and would like to give this a try, don't hesitate to see what happens
>when you link to that repo via the manifest xml. Let me know how it
>goes.

Jason asked me to chime in with my experience running the kernel module
on an Android ROM so far.

I've been running the WG kernel module in a self-built LineageOS 14.1
ROM for a LeEco LePro3 (zl1) device for about a month now. I haven't
been using the GUI userland tool, just the wg/wg-quick command line
tools.

Very pleased so far! Both the performance & battery life are markedly
better than with OpenVPN (no surprises there). No stability problems or
other weirdness to report.

Looking forward to trying out the manifest approach to building a WG
ROM.

Thanks!