[ANNOUNCE] WireGuard Snapshot `0.0.20171017` Available

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Tue Oct 17 19:32:11 CEST 2017

Hello,

A new snapshot, `0.0.20171017`, has been tagged in the git repository.

Please note that this snapshot is, like the rest of the project at this point
in time, experimental, and does not consitute a real release that would be
considered secure and bug-free. WireGuard is generally thought to be fairly
stable, and most likely will not crash your computer (though it may).
However, as this is a pre-release snapshot, it comes with no guarantees, and
its security is not yet to be depended on; it is not applicable for CVEs.

With all that said, if you'd like to test this snapshot out, there are a
few relevent changes.

== Changes ==

  * noise: handshake constants can be read-only after init
  * noise: no need to take the RCU lock if we're not dereferencing
  * send: improve dead packet control flow
  * receive: improve control flow
  * socket: eliminate dead code
  * device: our use of queues means this check is worthless
  * device: no need to take lock for integer comparison
  * blake2s: modernize API and have faster _final
  * compat: support READ_ONCE
  * compat: just make ro_after_init read_mostly

  Assorted cleanups to the module, including nice things like marking our
  precomputations as const.

  * Makefile: even prettier output
  * Makefile: do not clean before cloc
  * selftest: better test index for rate limiter
  * netns: disable accept_dad for all interfaces

  Fixes in our testing and build infrastructure. Now works on the 4.14 rc
  series.

  * qemu: add build-only target
  * qemu: work on ubuntu toolchain
  * qemu: add more debugging options to main makefile
  * qemu: simplify shutdown
  * qemu: open /dev/console if we're started early
  * qemu: phase out bitbanging
  * qemu: always create directory before untarring
  * qemu: newer packages
  * qemu: put hvc directive into configuration

  This is the beginning of working out a cross building test suite, so we do
  several tricks to be less platform independent.

  * tools: encoding: be more paranoid
  * tools: retry resolution except when fatal
  * tools: don't insist on having a private key
  * tools: add pass example to wg-quick man page
  * tools: style
  * tools: newline after warning
  * tools: account for padding being in zero attribute

  Several important tools fixes, one of which suppresses a needless warning.

As always, the source is available at https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/ and
information about the project is available at https://www.wireguard.com/ .

This snapshot is available in tarball form here:
  https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/snapshot/WireGuard-0.0.20171017.tar.xz
  SHA2-256: 57b79a62874d9b99659a744513d4f6f9d88cb772deaa99e485b6fed3004a35cd
  BLAKE2b-256: 09a219675f7fdff36935547faf8853b8be6f3d27b3926f4a3e65af87628fee8d

If you're a snapshot package maintainer, please bump your package version. If
you're a user, the WireGuard team welcomes any and all feedback on this latest
snapshot.

Finally, WireGuard development thrives on donations. By popular demand, we
have a webpage for this: https://www.wireguard.com/donations/

Thank you,
Jason Donenfeld