Fixing wg-quick's DNS= directive with a hatchet

Joe Doss joe at solidadmin.com
Thu Oct 26 18:56:47 CEST 2017

On 10/25/2017 05:43 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Meanwhile, Fedora does not ship resolvconf at all, and instead either
> uses NetworkManager or dhclient-script, depending on the configuration
> of a variable inside of some file in/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.
> I haven't really looked at how to coherently interface with all the
> possibilities, and I'm kind of reluctant to look.

The most likely best long term solution for this problem, at least for
Fedora (and other distros that use NetworkManager), is to create a
WireGuard NetworkManager plugin similar to the OpenVPN plugin.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/git/rpms/NetworkManager-openvpn.git
https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-openvpn

This way we are not fighting with NetworkManager over control over the
resolv.conf file and we integrate with the desktop well.

The hatchet proposal sounds fine for a short term solution, but if
WireGuard is to replace something like OpenVPN we will need to drink the
distro koolaid on how VPN services are managed on the desktop.

Joe

--
Joe Doss
joe at solidadmin.com