Fixing wg-quick's DNS= directive with a hatchet

Joe Doss joe at solidadmin.com
Fri Oct 27 17:38:17 CEST 2017

On 10/27/2017 09:51 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> So on one hand, you're fine with me shipping the hatchet, but you
> aren't [yet?] okay with the RPM-itself shipping the hatchet, because
> you'd like to find a more proper solution. This indicates to me that I
> shouldn't ship the hatchet myself then.
>
> You wrote, "WG users at this point are going to accept their fate that
> not all features are going to work correctly." Actually, no. Firstly,
> I'm not up for shipping broken software, and it's not okay with me to
> have distros ship things broken, because they think that's somehow
> fine and users will put up with it. Secondly, I've received enormous
> quantities of hate email from Fedora users, which is what's prompted
> this whole thread in the first place. So, no -- for the next snapshot
> packaging, I'd like for there to be a solution to make things work. If
> you can solve the physical challenge, great. If not, hatchet?

Don't let small amount of WG users that are rude and ignorant push the
project around. It's not the project's fault that they don't understand
how to install resolvconf or manage their own DNS if wg-quick doesn't
work. This isn't me saying that we shouldn't make it better. We should
and we will. It is just going to take time.

If you feel this is super important and you want to ship a hacky
solution to fix then do it. It's your project. That's why I said I was
fine with it. It's a temp solution for a problem that needs a lot more
packaging and dev time to fix correctly for every distro.

WireGuard is not 1.0 software. You say that on every snapshot release.
If users can't read that and understand that not all features of the
software are going to be where they need to be, then they shouldn't be
using it. This isn't me saying you need to accept or be OK with shipping
broken software. This is just a pain point for some users, so lets
invest the time to figure out what the best solution is and make it
happen. When I use WireGuard I never use wg-quick that's probably why I
never even noticed it was broken on my Fedora workstations. I set WG up
manually with my own scripts and I manage my own DNS because I don't
have a fancy NetworkManager drop down in GNOME to do it for me... at
least not yet. ;)

With that all said, I don't think the hatchet solution is great. It's
going to cause more confusion that it is worth long term, but if you
feel you need to have this issue fixed because users are super
frustrated then do it for now and we can fix it later with the right way
to do things in Fedora.

Joe

--
Joe Doss