making wireguard work on RHEL7/etc.

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Apr 5 17:08:20 CEST 2018

On Tue 2017-06-27 13:08:14 +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> compat.h is a dumpster fire already. Tons of people use the RHEL kernel.
> I think supporting it won't make an already gross cess pool any more
> disgusting. It's a file of hacks; I might as well add another.
>
> (I probably won't add hacks, though, for the heaps of random custom
> Android vendor kernels.)

sorry to dredge this thread back up from the archives...

https://bugs.debian.org/894909 shows someone trying to build wireguard
against the debian 8 ("jessie" aka "oldstable") 3.16 kernel saying that
they needed a similar patch to make the kernel module build.

I know that debian's kernel team does backport a lot of fixes to our
supported older kernels, similar to older releases of RedHat.

i'm asking over on #debian-kernel (on OFTC) to see whether there is some
similar to RHEL_MAJOR or CONFIG_SUSE_KERNEL or UTS_UBUNTU_RELEASE_ABI
that we can use for jessie.

    --dkg