The case for anycast (contra move semantics for unicast AllowedIPs).

George Walker georgewalkeriv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:44:39 CEST 2018

Hi Jason, Juliusz, Toke, Dave, et. al.,

A year ago we discussed Multicast addressing and the move semantics for
allowedIPs. Recently, I've been mulling over move semantics and their
implication for WireGuard's support for anycast addressing.

Unlike Multicast addresses, there are no designated address ranges for
anycast: an anycast address is just a unicast address that's advertised in
more than one place. As I understand it, the move semantics for allowedIPs
preclude anycast addressing, as IP addresses can only be assigned to one
peer at a time. This makes me wonder if it might be more correct to allow
unicast allowedIPs to be assigned to more than one peer, treating them as
anycast in that case.

The problem I see with allowing anycast addressing in WireGuard is the
potential for breaking TCP and other stateful protocols. Perhaps that could
be addressed by somehow keeping sessions localized to a particular peer,
e.g., by using a distance metric (perhaps based upon GeoIP lookups) or
hash-based binning. I'm not sure what the best way to handle failover.

Also, if memory serves, move semantics account for a large proportion of
the troubleshooting requests that show up on this list, suggesting to me
that the status quo --elegant though it is!-- may not
be especially intuitive.

What do y'all think?

Best regards,
George