Issues with WireGuard on Android (with kernel module)

Davide Depau davide at depau.eu
Mon Apr 30 15:24:36 CEST 2018

Hello,
I set up yesterday WireGuard on my OpenWrt router. I configured it on my
computer and it works - everything is setup correctly and traffic is
forwarded through WireGuard to the router and then to the outside.
On Android, after enabling the interface using the app or with wg-quick
manually, network is unreachable. I cannot even ping IPs on the same LAN as
the WireGuard interface.
I'm not sure how to find the routes as Android is a bit special.
As I said in the subject, my kernel (NetHunter kernel for OnePlus 3T) has
the module builtin.

Router conf (interface IP: 192.168.2.1/24):

[Interface]
ListenPort = 4500
PrivateKey = ...

[Peer]
PublicKey = ...
AllowedIPs = 192.168.2.196/32

[Peer]
PublicKey = ...
AllowedIPs = 192.168.2.4/32

Computer conf (working):

[Interface]
Address = 192.168.2.196/32
PrivateKey = ...
DNS = 1.1.1.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = ...
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = (hostname):4500
PersistentKeepalive = 25

Phone conf (generated by app, not working):

[Interface]
Address = 192.168.2.4/24
DNS = 1.1.1.1
PrivateKey = ...