Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals

Eisfunke nicolas at eisfunke.com
Fri Aug 10 16:42:15 CEST 2018

Hello together,

> In the absence of that, it would be nice if the private key which is
> stored on the laptop were encrypted with a passphrase.  Simplest option
> may be to extend wg-quick so that the entire config file can be
> pgp-encrypted.

one can already do that via the wg-quick PostUp hook, check out the Arch Linux
wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/
WireGuard#Store_private_keys_in_encrypted_form

The example is using pass, switching it for direct GPG (or keepassxc or
anything, really) should be easily possible.

Considering that possibility, I don't think adding GnuPG directly into
Wireguard would be a good idea. It would just add complexity for little to no
benefit.

Greetings,
NIcolas Lenz