[ANNOUNCE] WireGuard Snapshot `0.0.20180708` Available

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Tue Jul 10 16:54:36 CEST 2018

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 18:52:32 +0200
"Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:

>   * receive: use NAPI on the receive path
>
>   This is a big change that should both improve preemption latency (by not
>   disabling it unconditionally) and vastly improve rx performance on most
>   systems by using NAPI. The main purpose of this snapshot is to test out this
>   technique.

Just ran a few tests, it appears the performance is about 5-10% higher.
Great work!

Two VMs running on the same host (non-WG iperf3 is 14 Gbit/sec), typical
results (upgrading receiver machine only):

Single core:

Before: 1.06 Gbit/sec
After: 1.13 Gbit/sec

Dual core:

Before: 1.25 Gbit/sec
After: 1.35 Gbit/sec

Note that my "before" is a bit non-stock, but with a patch which removed two
calls of "simd_relax" (as I wanted to keep max performance over the
interactivity changes). "After" is the new snapshot without any patches.

--
With respect,
Roman