Future changes in crypto algorithms

Vivien Malerba vmalerba at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:08:08 CEST 2018

Hi!
My understanding is that the crypto algorithms have been carefully chosen
to avoid having to include ciphers negotiations; with the assumption that
in case a weakness is ever found in one of them, the faulty algorithms will
be "replaced" and all people will have to do is update (the white paper
says "If holes are found in the underlying primitives, all endpoints will
be required to update").

However, for any organization which will use WireGuard, even if admins are
very effective at applying updates, updating all the endpoint systems
simultaneously is not realistic. At the same time, it may be the case that
the organization can't afford the downtime, in which case using WireGuard
will simply not be an option, which is too bad.

Maybe it's too early to think about this at the time, but otherwise I think
including a mechanism which would instruct the system as "for now, use the
new algorithms but still allow for the old ones if the new ones fail while
I update all the endpoints" would answer the problem.

Don't know how to implement that correctly though, but I just wanted to
bring that point to attention.

Best regards,
Vivien