Roaming between IPv4 and IPv6?

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Tue Mar 6 23:59:39 CET 2018

On 06.03.2018 23:08, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> I think the idea of configuring both v4 and v6 on startup and caching
> them is a reasonable idea. Maybe even configure all available addresses
> when doing the initial DNS lookup? Or is that awkward to do?

Frankly, IMHO that's a userspace problem. I don't want to see the kernel
driver burdened with complicated timeout logic, multiple address caching
and timeouts, and whatnot. Discovering which address is still reachable
when a link fails, re-checking DNS (you really should not use a resolved
address beyond its DNS timeout, esp. not when it fails to work), and all
those sundry tasks do not belong in the kernel.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs