Another roaming problem

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Mar 8 18:02:38 CET 2018

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>> and so I wonder if a simpler solution would also
>>involve NAT -- namely, configuring "hair pin" NAT?
>
> What's that?

It's the terrible vendor term for hitting the gateway through one of
its IPs (say, the public one) and having it forward packets for you to
another machine on the same LAN. The idea here, being, you'd get to
keep using the same IP address for communicating, even when you're
behind NAT in the private network. (This seems to work well for me at
my house.)

Wikipedia describes it in terms of the p2p discovery issue, which is
slightly different, but still the same underlying concept:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpinning