wireguard dkms systemd

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Nov 2 14:52:19 CET 2018

On Sun 2018-10-21 18:49:19 +0300, Lucian Cristian wrote:
> is an annoyance to restart it manually, if you are inside the vpn, you
> can't do it, I thought that there is a restart script at package update..

as a packager (debian, not ubuntu, but priniciples might be similar
across operating systems), i'm very leery to automatically restart
services during an upgrade, particularly when those services might
affect the connectivity of the system administrator who is doing the
upgrade.

that means i'm unlikely automatically restart network interfaces in a
package's postinst (post-installation script).  And, since another
package could also be in the process of updating systemd units, i'm also
unlikely to automatically issue a "systemctl daemon-reload" in postinst.

if you want "systemd daemon-reload" to happen after successful package
installation, that would probably be a job for the package manager
itself (in debian and ubuntu, that's probably apt (or maybe dpkg)), or
for hooks/triggers associated with package management.

If anyone has a robust/reliable solution that's not likely to cause the
kinds of problems i'm concerned about, i'd love to hear it.

      --dkg