Not really TAI64N

Vlad Krasnov vlad at cloudflare.com
Thu Nov 8 16:48:46 CET 2018

> That's right, and by intention. The whitepaper *does* mention that:
>
> "To prevent this, a 12-byte TAI64N [7] timestamp is included,
> encrypted and authenticated, in the first message. The responder keeps
> track of the greatest timestamp received per peer and discards packets
> containing timestamps less than or equal to it. (In fact, it does not
> even have to be an accurate timestamp; it simply must be a per-peer
> monotonically increasing 96-bit number.)”

Yes, I saw that in the paper, and having a monotonic 96-bit counter is perfectly fine. I guess the wording is not clear, and the codebase calls it TAI64N, which is confusing.

I only raised the issue because the name implies one thing, and the implementation does some other thing.

So calling tai64n.After implies you compare two valid tai64n timestamps, and not just two large big endian numbers.

>> Also, the function used for comparison is memcmp, non-constant time function, that shouldn’t be used in cryptographic context.
>
> This is also mentioned in the whitepaper:
>
> "From an implementation point of view, TAI64N [7] is very convenient
> because it is big-endian, allowing comparisons between two 12-byte
> timestamps to be done using standard memcmp().”

Yes, it makes a lot of sense, and memcmp will rightfully distinguish two valid tai64 timestamps today.

But in theory values larger than 2^63 are reserved for possible future use, and then this assertion might become invalid.

> I realize of course this is vulnerable to timing inference, but I
> disagree that this is a "cryptographic context" akin to the ordinary
> situation where timing attacks are against secrets like hash results
> or private keys. I had considered implementing this as a constant time
> function, but I had a hard time coming up with scenarios in which:
>
> - an attack would be possible; and
> - it would gain the attacker a particularly useful piece of information.

I can’t think of any too, but there is no real cost to it, in fact it would probably be faster than calling memcmp, so why not do it in constant time?