how to diagnose lengthy ping times through a complex network stack

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:24:02 CET 2018

Replying to my own email -

This latency problem I reported was not Wireguard's fault.
What happened was that one of the floating IP addresses
that was assigned to the VM was attached to an OpenStack
controller that had been provisioned in the wrong data center.
Amazingly the whole setup did continue to work, but the
ping times reflected pessimal routing, with the ping from
New Jersey to New Jersey going via Tokyo.

No individual component was anywhere near as slow as the
speed of light under the Pacific Ocean.

Note to self: if you can't debug the problem within the virtual
machine, start to look at the physical machines that provide
the virtual machines, and make sure you know what (and where)
they are.

Ed

edward.vielmetti at gmail.com