mesh VPN with wireguard?

Vincent Wiemann vincent.wiemann at ironai.com
Mon Apr 8 02:49:52 CEST 2019

No, it's not easy to create a mesh with WireGuard (if you're referring to real
mesh networks using e.g. Babel).
It's complicated, because in a mesh you don't want to manually assign IP addresses
to the mesh nodes and configure corresponding WireGuard peers.
When roaming comes into play, it becomes even more cumbersome,
as WireGuard has its own routing layer and thus the same subnet can't be assigned to all nodes.
One needs to use a broker script which creates a separate WireGuard interface/instance
for every mesh node automatically so that e.g. Babel can route according to interfaces.
As I don't like this approach and we need it for our mesh network,
I'm working on a layer 2 version of WireGuard.

Regards,

Vincent Wiemann