MacOS client with local DNS resolver

Peter Baumgartner pete at lincolnloop.com
Fri Apr 12 20:07:43 CEST 2019

I'm using the official Mac GUI client (version 0.0.20190409) and am
having troubles with DNS after connection. I use a local DNS resolver,
so I have my DNS manually set to 127.0.0.1 on the network interface:

    $ scutil --dns | grep scoped -A50
    DNS configuration (for scoped queries)

    resolver #1
      nameserver[0] : 127.0.0.1
      if_index : 8 (en0)
      flags    : Scoped, Request A records, Request AAAA records
      reach    : 0x00030002 (Reachable,Local Address,Directly Reachable Address)

Once I activate a Wireguard tunnel, the resolvers are updated to the
IP of my Wireguard server:

    $ scutil --dns | grep scoped -A50
    DNS configuration (for scoped queries)

    resolver #1
      nameserver[0] : 10.0.77.1
      if_index : 8 (en0)
      flags    : Scoped, Request A records
      reach    : 0x00000002 (Reachable)

    resolver #2
      nameserver[0] : 10.0.77.1
      if_index : 19 (utun2)
      flags    : Scoped, Request A records
      reach    : 0x00000003 (Reachable,Transient Connection)

Setting `DNS = 127.0.0.1` on the [Interface] section for my client has
no effect.

How can I activate the tunnel, but keep my DNS resolver as 127.0.0.1?