Wireguard command line tools for Android

David Kerr david at kerr.net
Mon Aug 5 23:28:41 CEST 2019

I assume you have set the client configs to connect to something like "
vpn.example.com:<port>" . How does DNS resolve this when inside your local
LAN?  Does it resolve to the same public IP address that your DSL router is
connected to, or does it resolve to an internal address like 192.168.1.1?

The way I have this working is to ensure that my VPN URL always resolves to
the external IP address, even when I am inside my home network.  To do that
I had to update my DNS server configuration to make sure that my VPN URL is
always resolved by an external DNS provider... I have my own custom network
gateway/router and set dnsmasq.static to include the line...

server=/vpn.example.com/8.8.8.8

Now this works for me because my wireguard server is running on my custom
gateway/router... no NAT forwarding to an internal host running wireguard.
If you are running wireguard on an internal server then you also need to
make sure that your firewall rules don't block connections to your external
interface from your local LAN and do the right NATing -- which is probably
not permitted by default.  I forget how to do this, but I'm sure google
will find some instructions.

David