Linux kernel 5 different behavior

Vasili Pupkin diggest at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 11:29:53 CEST 2019

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 5:09 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> > Usage of fwmark is my current workaround. If the same user id of an
> > outer packets is not a bug then ignore it.
>
> I can see arguments both ways. Do you recall off hand the last kernel
> version that had the prior behavior? I'd like to try to find the
> commit and read the rationale upstream.

I see the difference now between 4.18.0 and 5.0.0 kernels, the closest
I can get with readily compiled kernels on my distro. According to
`iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -j LOG --log-uid` on kernel 4.18 outer
packets have UID=0 if original packets were sent from system processes
and do not have associated UID at all if original packets were sent by
the user. On kernel 5.0 they always inherit UID.