organization of wireguard linux kernel repos moving forward

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Mon Dec 9 13:49:20 CET 2019

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:43 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:

> "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com> writes:
>
> > 2) wireguard-tools.git will have the userspace utilities and scripts,
> > such as wg(8) and wg-quick(8), and be easily packageable by distros.
> > This repo won't be live until we get a bit closer to the 5.6 release,
> > but when it is live, it will live at:
> > https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/ [currently 404s]
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/zx2c4/wireguard-tools.git/
> > [currently 404s]
>
> Any plans for integrating this further with iproute2? One could imagine
> either teaching 'ip' about the wireguard-specific config (keys etc), or
> even just moving the 'wg' binary wholesale into iproute2?

I'd definitely be interested in this. Back in 2015, that was the plan.
Then it took a long time to get to where we are now, and since then
wg(8) has really evolved into its own useful thing. The easiest thing
would be to move wg(8) wholesale into iproute2 like you suggested;
that'd allow people to continue using their infrastructure and whatnot
they've used for a long time now. A more nuanced approach would be
coming up with a _parallel_ iproute2 tool with mostly the same syntax
as wg(8) but as a subcommand of ip(8). Originally the latter appealed
to me, but at this point maybe the former is better after all. I
suppose something to consider is that wg(8) is actually a
cross-platform tool now, with a unified syntax across a whole bunch of
operating systems. But it's also just boring C.