Windows client "Unable to create Wintun device"

Simon Rozman simon at rozman.si
Thu Dec 12 10:28:00 CET 2019

Hi Richard,

I apologise for the delay. (Becoming my standard letter introduction these days. ☹)

Your error is saying that NetCfgInstanceId value did not appear in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\<id> registry key in 10 seconds. Can you check the registry key what's going on there, please?

Also, check the event log (System and Application and Service Logs\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceSetupManager) for any errors at the time you are attempting to activate the tunnel. Maybe there's some disabled service causing interface device creation to fail?

Maybe your Windows is attempting to access Windows Update for a newer version of Wintun driver first, triggering 10 second timeout in WireGuard?

Best regards,

Simon