Fedora DKMS Issues

Joe Doss joe at solidadmin.com
Mon Feb 4 18:01:28 CET 2019

Hi All,

We have been seeing some issues where DKMS is no longer upgrading
cleanly on Fedora. This is due to the older version's DKMS conf file
getting remove prematurely and you end up with this error `Error! Could
not locate dkms.conf file.` when running any dkms commands.

I have a working RPM that does not cause this error with my testing on
Fedora 29 and CentOS 7, so I have pushed it up to Copr
(https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jdoss/wireguard/build/854203/). I
_think_ this should fix things moving forward, but this issue has been
hard to reproduce, so I am starting this thread to gather feedback if it
doesn't fix the problem.

Please upgrade to wireguard-dkms-0.0.20190123-2 to give this a try. Once
Jason releases the next snapshot, we can see if users running this
version break on the upgrade or not. Please note that this new RPM won't
fix your WireGuard DKMS install if it is already in a broken state. You
will need to totally remove the older wireguard-dkms RPM and install
this new one.

The gist of the underlying issue is this is a DKMS problem that is not
very well documented.
https://github.com/dell/dkms/issues/25#issuecomment-360275619 is the GH
Issue that I followed when trying to track this problem down. Using
%posttrans vs %post in the RPM feels hacky and not the best solution,
but it should do for now. From what I can tell ZFS on Linux DKMS RPM had
similar problems and they solved with with some bash
(https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/8216). I am hoping this abuse of
%posttrans limps us along until Linux 5.0.

Please leave feedback on this new version in this thread.

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Doss