Logical cores / SMT with WireGuard

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Feb 17 12:01:36 CET 2019

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 18:02:26 +0000
Lee Yates <rainmakerraw at icloud.com> wrote:

Sorry, hit "send" before reading the rest of your message.

> the router runs headless and is awkward to get a monitor to so I can access
> the BIOS.

You can toggle it without needing the BIOS.
It is possible to disable SMT from grub, with Linux kernel boot arguments.
It even seems possible to disable/enable it without a reboot.
See https://www.golinuxhub.com/2018/01/how-to-disable-or-enable-hyper.html

> My WAN is 'only' 400Mbps anyway so
> hardly a taxing test. Because of this, I can't really learn about how
> much WireGuard benefits from the extra threads, if it does at all, as
> either way I have headroom to spare for my current WAN provision.

Set up a separate WG network with a peer on your Gbit LAN. Or even run a
virtual machine on the same host, and run WG between host and VM, which should
get you multi-Gbit raw throughput and likely make WG encryption the
bottleneck. That way you can observe not only the CPU load, but also the
transfer speed reached changing with HT on/off.

--
With respect,
Roman