upgrading raspberry pi required me to re install wireguard

Arpit Gupta g.arpit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 20:47:43 CET 2019

Hi All

I am running raspberry pi v3 and ran apt-get update and upgrade commands to
get upto date. It also ended up updating the kernel i think. I should have
paid more attention to what all was getting updated.

After the update wireguard was not running and upon debugging i found that
the wireguard kernel module was no longer present. So i uninstalled all
wireguard packages and installed them again and the module showed up and on
reboot system was back to normal. What i was curious was how should one go
about doing os/kernel updates in future in order to avoid this issue?

I am running
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.98-v7+ #1200 SMP Tue Feb 12 20:27:48 GMT 2019 armv7l
GNU/Linux
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Release: 9.8
Codename: stretch

ii  wireguard                       0.0.20190123-1               all
  fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (metapackage)
ii  wireguard-dkms                  0.0.20190123-1               all
  fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (DKMS version)
ii  wireguard-tools                 0.0.20190123-1               armhf
  fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (userland utilities)

--
Arpit