WG: Need for HW-clock independent timestamps

Axel Neumann axel at notmail.org
Sat Feb 23 05:00:57 CET 2019

I really appreciate the resumption.

Whatever mechanisms wireguard introduces to handle non-RTC devices with
limited flash-write cycles (which far most of the openWrt community
uses) would significantly ease the configuration of
every-even-ntp-traffic-secured networks.

Regarding
> Initiation of a wireguard
> tunnel for those devices would be: read last counter to variable X,
> increment last counter, store incremented counter to flash, tell
> wireguard to use X as basetime.

Do you mean update counter to flash for each peer for each handshake?
That may again result in a lot (10..100++ ???) of write cycles per day, no?

Otherwise, if done only once per overall wireguard initialization then
incrementing last counter by one would not be enough to ensure that
already used SQNs are not used again after a reboot.

Incrementing by e.g. 16000 (corresponding 16ms in real time) would allow
16k handshakes before the stored value had to be updated again.
Wireguard could even delay first handshake by 16ms to 100% ensure that
SQNs have never be used before.

Then, by setting system base time to stored counter value on wireguard
init, and
> choose a per-peer base
> time for the first handshake, and then simply increment that on each
> handshake
would be sufficient for our use case.

Just important that the peer base time used for all peers is always
given by the system base time when wireguard initialized (and NOT the
current time when the handshake is made).
Otherwise, an unexpected reboot of the system after >16ms may again lead
to re-used handshake SQNs.