Openresolv package is a requirement and should be added to install docs

Hayden Lau lau.hayden at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:49:36 CET 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 1:29 PM F <finalcountdown at post.com> wrote:

> Learnt how to get WG working here
> https://github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand/issues/1434 and it
> describes how the openresolv package is needed to get WG to connect
> properly. This is not noted in the official WG docs and the average
> person would have difficulty figuring out why wg-quick doesn't connect.

The openresolv package is not a dependency of WireGuard. WireGuard itself
does not deal with DNS - the wg-quick tool simply sets up DNS servers for
wg interfaces for convenience. For example, I use Ubuntu 18.04 on my
laptop, and that distro uses systemd-resolvd. Therefore, I add the line
'PostUp = systemd-resolve -i %i --set-dns=193.138.218.74 --set-domain=~' to
my config file instead of the 'DNS = [DNS server here]' line.

Hayden