issue with certain apps + wireguard

Arpit Gupta g.arpit at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 20:02:04 CET 2019

Hi All

A new user here. Recently setup wireguard to run on my pi 3 + pi hole. I am
noticing some interesting behavior with certain apps.

When using Google Duo on my android phone it would not work if wireguard
was configured in split tunnel mode. When i enabled all traffic via
wireguard it worked fine.

Downloading app updates my phone when on wireguard would not work
regardless if it was split tunnel or all traffic was being routed via
wireguard. Interestingly installing an app did not have any issue.

Another issue i noticed is when i try to open lets say a pdf attachment in
my browser from gmail it gets stuck in downloading state. I then turn off
wireguard and then it works fine.

All of this is when i am at home so network is not an issue. I have
confirmed pi hole is not causing issues as when i disable wireguard
applications are working fine and still using pi hole dns.

I am noob in the matters of VPN, security, network etc so i wanted to see
if people had thoughts on how i can debug this further to determine if this
is an issue with the wireguard app on my phone vs the peer running on my pi
and if there are certain types of apps i should add to my exclude list.
Right now i have added google duo and play store to it.

On my pi3 i am running wireguard 0.0.20181218-1 and on my pixel 3xl i am
running 0.0.20181218 and go backend of 0.0.20181018.

Thanks
--
Arpit