Optional DNS-Check or Ping-test for the Android App

Fabian Schwamborn fabian at familie-schwamborn.com
Wed Jan 16 22:29:44 CET 2019

I think you misunderstood me. Most broadband providers don't offer fixed
IPv4. Due to privacy considerations, even under IPv6 on normal
connections, addresses will always change. (prefix) As soon as an
address changes and my dynamic DNS system registers it, an IPsec or
OpenVPN client on my phone can reconnect. (This happens once a week).
The Wireguard app simply lacks a monitor to see if the IP address has
changed. Therefore a ttl in the DNS was introduced .... (After a
registered loss of the connection - also shown in the log - no DNS
request is executed and the tunnel breaks down permanently.)

I think these are the most common scenarios with OpenWRT routers ...

Having a DNS entry does not mean that it always points to a static ip,
so when a tunnel disconnects, the Android-app itself (userspace) should
handle this like many other existing VPN-Clients do by a re-query of the
DNS entry...

My question is, is there any opinion on such an implementation? Should i
try to implement it into the android app and provide the code?
(Unfortunately i am not a good android app-developer)