Long outage when changing private key

Derrick Lyndon Pallas derrick at pallas.us
Thu Jan 24 22:22:04 CET 2019

With two peers, A with persistent keepalive & B without, I am trying to
change the private key on peer A. First I update the public key for A at
B, then `wg set wg0 private-key XXXX` on A. It takes roughly the length
of the persistent keepalive to reestablish pings from B to A.

If instead I update the public key for A at B, remove peer B at A,
change A's private key, and then re-add peer B at A, I am able to
reestablish pings almost immediately.

My guess was that there was a timer that needed to be reset when
wg_set_device processes WGDEVICE_A_PRIVATE_KEY, but an attempt to reset
timers was unsuccessful. I am new to this code and could use some
pointers/advice on where to look next.

~Derrick