Optional DNS-Check or Ping-test for the Android App

Fabian Schwamborn fabian at familie-schwamborn.com
Fri Jan 25 00:15:14 CET 2019

Am 16.01.2019 um 23:06 schrieb David Cowden:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 1:29 PM Fabian Schwamborn
> <fabian at familie-schwamborn.com <mailto:fabian at familie-schwamborn.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     I think you misunderstood me. Most broadband providers don't offer
>     fixed IPv4. Due to privacy considerations, even under IPv6 on
>     normal connections, addresses will always change. (prefix) As soon
>     as an address changes and my dynamic DNS system registers it, an
>     IPsec or OpenVPN client on my phone can reconnect. (This happens
>     once a week).
>     The Wireguard app simply lacks a monitor to see if the IP address
>     has changed. Therefore a ttl in the DNS was introduced .... (After
>     a registered loss of the connection - also shown in the log - no
>     DNS request is executed and the tunnel breaks down permanently.)
>
>     I think the
>
> Yes, I thought you were asking for what you already have setup. My
> apologies.
>
>     se are the most common scenarios with OpenWRT routers ...
>
>     Having a DNS entry does not mean that it always points to a static
>     ip, so when a tunnel disconnects, the Android-app itself
>     (userspace) should handle this like many other existing
>     VPN-Clients do by a re-query of the DNS entry...
>
>     My question is, is there any opinion on such an implementation?
>     Should i try to implement it into the android app and provide the
>     code? (Unfortunately i am not a good android app-developer)
>
> This sounds like something the wg-go userspace should support, not the
> android or ios app ui.

The wg-go userspace application is just the interface to the kernel
module (or an userspace program, that emulates the kernel module)

The Linux-Kernel is not able to resolve any DNS because it could only
handle IP-Adresses. I don't think that it would be a good idea to write
a dns-resolver for a kernel module.

 From my point of view, each connected endpoint has to be monitored
periodically by a userspace program (in this case java or an additional
go-module). In case of a tunnel malfunktion OR based on a timer the
Hostname has to be re-resolved.

Therefore my current question: Are custom code contributions welcome in
this respect?

I am currently thinking about adding a timer-supported tunnel monitoring
to the app.