RFC: wg syncpeers wg0 wireguard.conf
lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com
Sun Jun 9 21:59:01 CEST 2019
Hi List, Request For Comments:
I would find it useful if "wg" would support a "syncpeers" subcommand.
Usage: wg syncpeers <interface> <configuration filename>
syncpeers: Synchronizes a configuration file of peers to a WireGuard interface
- A user creates a wireguard.conf file.
- Uses "wg setconf wg0 wireguard.conf" to apply the configuration.
- Later, a user edits a wireguard.conf file: adds peers, deletes peers, and/or edits peers.
- Use "wg syncpeers wg0 wireguard.conf" to synchronize the configuration file of peers with the current state.
- Synchronize changes with minimal impact, determine peer differences and leave unchanged settings alone.
- Basically internally using "wg set wg0 ..." to make the minimum changes.
- If the [Peer] Endpoint is a DNS hostname, the Endpoint will be resolved and IP updated.
Note: Interestingly, "wg setconf wg0 wireguard.conf" *almost* performs as requested except for a 17 second interruption of the tunnel *if* PersistentKeepalive is 0. Even if PersistentKeepalive is 3600, a "wg setconf wg0 wireguard.conf" will not effect an active tunnel except for resetting traffic counters.
I understand a script could be created to perform this as well, but adding it to "wg" lowers the hurdle for many users.
If the 17 second interruption of active tunnels while using "wg setconf wg0 wireguard.conf" could be eliminated, this request may be moot.
More information about the WireGuard