Wireguard for Windows - local administrator necessary?

Simon Rozman simon at rozman.si
Wed Nov 27 12:27:10 CET 2019

Hi Chris!

This is WireGuard design. Reconfiguring network - which (dis)connecting VPN is – is administrative task.

If your organization issues laptops to their employees, the corporate VPN should be up at all times. You don't want them to disconnect from VPN and use those laptops on compromised networks, do you?

I did have an issue when roaming laptops to and from corporate WiFi, as the endpoint IP changes – restarting the tunnel helped, but adding a scheduled task to reset endpoint IP every 2 minutes using wg.exe command line works like a charm here. If that's the reason you would want your users to manipulate WireGuard tunnels?

Best regards,

Simon