Is there a way to use wireguard as a non-encrypted VPN?

ajs124 wireguard at ajs124.de
Tue Apr 14 17:02:41 CEST 2020

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 12:13:36 -0700
<mike at pmfarmwald.com> wrote:

> I have some older routers that run OpenWRT just fine, but are a bit slow at
> Wireguard (3-5 MBytes/s for SMB transfers) and which are too slow for
> playing HD movies.
> For these routers/uses I don't care about security, I just want a VPN to
> tunnel (thru Comcast, and other ISPs that block lots of ports.)
> If there was a way to use Wiireguard with encryption disabled, I'm pretty
> sure my performance would be closer to 20-50 MB/s which would be more than
> adequate.
> Thanks.
> Mike Farmwald

If you're actually just looking for an unencrypted tunnel, there is some standardized stuff like GRE[1] or IP in IP[2] out there.

The Linux Kernel supports both of those natively and it looks to me like OpenWRT should be able to configure at least one of them through its interface.

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Routing_Encapsulation
2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_in_IP