WireGuard on Windows: Unable to create Wintun interface: Error registering rings: Error listing NDIS interfaces: no interfaces found

Ferad Zyulkyarov feradz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:50:49 CEST 2020

Jason and Simon, thanks for the reply.

I tried Jason's recommendation and added Tcpip as a dependence to the
WireGuard service. This doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I added the dependency by executing the following command:
sc config WireGuardTunnel$wg0 depend= nsi/Tcpip

After executing this command I verified that noth NSI and TCPIP are
listed as dependencies.

I restarted the machine few times but still WireGuard does not start
automatically when the machine starts.There is the same error in the
WireGuard log file: [tun] [wg0] Unable to create Wintun interface:
Error registering
rings: Error listing NDIS interfaces: no interfaces found

I need to start WireGuard manually.

I tried the recommendation from Simon to set startup type to
"Automatic (delayed start)" for the WireGuard service. Unfortunately,
this also does not solve the problem. WireGuard does not start. I
check the logs and I see

[MGR] Removing Wintun interface ‘wg0’ because its service is stopped

It looks like the WireGuard manager removes the service and installs
again. As a result the dependency to TCPIP disappears.

In my first email I explained, but worth mentioning again. There are
other Windows machines same OS, where WireGuard starts automatically
at startup. This is very strange that in some machines it starts and
in others it does not. If you guide me I can try to help debug this
issue and address.

Regards,
Ferad