[ANNOUNCE] wireguard-tools v1.0.20200206 released

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Feb 6 16:28:23 CET 2020

Hello,

A new version, v1.0.20200206, of wireguard-tools has been tagged in the git
repository, containing various required userspace utilities, such as the
wg(8) and wg-quick(8) commands and documentation.

== Changes ==

  * wg-quick: android: split uids into multiple commands

  Newer android's ndc implementations have limits on uid size, so we have to
  break these into several lists.

  * man: document dynamic debug trick for Linux

  This comes up occasionally, so it may be useful to mention its
  possibility in the man page. At least the Arch Linux and Ubuntu kernels
  support dynamic debugging, so this advice will at least help somebody. So that
  you don't have to go digging into the commit, this adds this helpful tidbit
  to the man page for getting debug logs on Linux:

  # modprobe wireguard && echo module wireguard +p > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

  * extract-{handshakes,keys}: rework for upstream kernel

  These tools will now use the source code from the running kernel instead of
  from the old monolithic repo. Essential for the functioning of Wireshark.

  === PACKAGE MANAGERS TAKE NOTE: ===

  * netlink: remove libmnl requirement

  We no longer require libmnl. It turns out that inlining the small subset of
  libmnl that we actually use results in a smaller binary than the overhead of
  linking to the external library. And we intend to gradually morph this code
  into something domain specific as a libwg emerges. Performance has also
  increased, thanks to the inliner. On all platforms, wg(8) only needs a normal
  libc. Compile time on my system is still less than one second. So all in all
  we have: smaller binary, zero dependencies, faster performance.

  Packagers should no longer have their wireguard-tools package depend on
  libmnl.

  * embeddable-wg-library: use newer string_list
  * netlink: don't pretend that sysconf isn't a function

  Small cleanups.

This release contains commits from: Jason A. Donenfeld.

As always, the source is available at https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/ and
information about the project is available at https://www.wireguard.com/ .

This release is available in compressed tarball form here:
  https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/snapshot/wireguard-tools-1.0.20200206.tar.xz
  SHA2-256: f5207248c6a3c3e3bfc9ab30b91c1897b00802ed861e1f9faaed873366078c64

A PGP signature of that file decompressed is available here:
  https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/snapshot/wireguard-tools-1.0.20200206.tar.asc
  Signing key: AB9942E6D4A4CFC3412620A749FC7012A5DE03AE
  Remember to unxz the tarball before verifying the signature.

If you're a package maintainer, please bump your package version. If you're a
user, the WireGuard team welcomes any and all feedback on this latest version.

Finally, WireGuard development thrives on donations. By popular demand, we
have a webpage for this: https://www.wireguard.com/donations/

Thank you,
Jason Donenfeld