wireguard slow pings

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 13:58:48 CET 2020

I'm testing wireguard
wireguard-0.0.20191219-2.fc31.x86_64
between a Fedora 31 client and server, comparing to openvpn.

Openvpn is running between a linux client outside my lan and a server on my
router, which is running dd-wrt.
I'm pinging between that linux client and another linux client within my
lan.

wireguard is running between the same linux client outside my lan and the
same other linux client within my lan.  This
time router is simply forwarding packets via NAT.

Openvpn ping times are much lower (about 10ms) and much lower variance than
wireguard.  Wireguard pings
are all over the place.

Packets coming in from the WAN are traversing some firewall that I don't
control, which may be affecting results.  Openvpn
is config to use udp.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neal

--
*Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it*