wireguard slow pings

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Feb 23 15:52:25 CET 2020

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 07:58:48 -0500
Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm testing wireguard
> wireguard-0.0.20191219-2.fc31.x86_64
> between a Fedora 31 client and server, comparing to openvpn.
>
> Openvpn is running between a linux client outside my lan and a server on my
> router, which is running dd-wrt.
> I'm pinging between that linux client and another linux client within my
> lan.
>
> wireguard is running between the same linux client outside my lan and the
> same other linux client within my lan.  This
> time router is simply forwarding packets via NAT.
>
> Openvpn ping times are much lower (about 10ms) and much lower variance than
> wireguard.  Wireguard pings
> are all over the place.
>
> Packets coming in from the WAN are traversing some firewall that I don't
> control, which may be affecting results.  Openvpn
> is config to use udp.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you try using the same port for WG, as you use for OpenVPN (of course
stopping OpenVPN for a while to try that)?

It is possible that ISPs employ different priorities for particular UDP port
ranges;

Or they might do load-balancing across multiple links by src/dst/port/protocol,
and your WG's combination of that randomly happens to go via some unlucky
overloaded one.

--
With respect,
Roman