Standardized IPv6 ULA from PublicKey

Derrick Lyndon Pallas derrick at pallas.us
Sun Jun 28 17:19:01 CEST 2020

I've been using something similar for ORCHIDv2-ish addressing, q.v. [1].

from base64 import b64decode
from hashlib import shake_128
from ipaddress import IPv6Network

public_key = b64decode(...)
secret = "somesecret".encode('utf-8')
network = IPv6Network("2001:20::/28")

hash = shake_128(secret + public_key).digest(network.max_prefixlen//8)
mask = int.from_bytes(network.hostmask.packed, byteorder='big')
host = int.from_bytes(hash, byteorder='big')
addr = network[host & mask]

The use of secret is optional but allows one to mix the addresses based
on a shared secret. Substituting the link local range for the ORCHIDv2
range above should produce results similar to what you're getting. One
thing to note, it's worth checking to see if the algorithm generates the
network or broadcast addresses and either failing or shifting. (I'm
considering adding a +1 or -1 based on whether we hit said address to
the above; the real code just asserts right now.)

~Derrick

[1]
https://github.com/pallas/wgnlpy/commit/5c1f4bf876b39bad29135370e5f297e305dab840