Logging

Luis Ressel aranea at aixah.de
Wed Mar 18 11:43:15 CET 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 09:14:42AM +0100, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> First, I should point out that the whole purpose of syslog(3) is
> to do the flexible directing of different daemons' logs to different
> places, including in chroots.

By design, syslog funnels all logs through a single socket. Separating
them again requires matching the contents of log messages, which is
inefficient and error-prone. Getting syslog to work in chroots can be
annoying, since it requires opening the logging socket before chrooting
(which requires support by the daemon), or providing a /dev/log socket
inside the chroot.

That said, I'm aware that syslog is more convenient in some setups, so
offering both stderr and syslog logging sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Luis