Should we sunset Windows 7 support?

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Tue Nov 10 14:06:46 CET 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM <samuel.progin at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, Microsoft sells extended support (Windows 7 ESU) to corporate
> customers using Pro or Enterprise editions. It can be extended until Jan
> 10th 2023.
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/windows-7-eos-f
> aq/windows-7-extended-security-updates-faq

I thought about this... One thing I wonder is: are purchasers of ESU
the same group of people that are likely to run newfangled security
software like WireGuard? How likely is there to be an overlap? I
realize my question implies, "not very likely," but I really don't
know too much about who Microsoft sells this stuff to, so if you have
any insights, I'm all ears.