Add local DNS forwarder to Windows client

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Tue Nov 10 17:04:53 CET 2020

On 10.11.20 16:38, Yves Goergen wrote:
> This is not a solution to my problem. And I still refuse to believe
> that my problem is exotic. Every home LAN has this.

Which "every" home LAN has two resolvers, none of them being
authoritative? Mine certainly doesn't.

 >  So if your first DNS is up but has no reply for your query,

Define "no reply". There's more than one kind of non-reply here. If the
no-reply you're talking about is actually a "doesn't exist" reply, then
Windows is perfectly correct not to ask anybody else for a second
opinion. The net is flooded with stupid (if not to say "terminally
brain-dead") DNS queries as it is, ask any DNS provider; no need to add
even more of these.

Please elucidate why you can't use a fixed prefix like ".home" or ".lan"
for these. Cf. RFC 2606.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs