Hooks in clients?

Nicholas Capo nicholas.capo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 17:58:02 CET 2020

On Fri, 2020-11-13 at 16:46 +0100, Sune Mølgaard wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I am looking towards deploying WireGuard as my primary VPN
> connection,
> and wonder a bit if the various clients (Android, wg-quick, whatever
> there is for macOS, iOS and Windows), could be made to include the
> possibility of calling external programs upon (re-)connections, in my
> case specifically for port knocking, but possibly useful for other
> purposes as well?
>
> In the cases of Android and iOS, I am a bit unsure about interaction
> with other apps, so maybe, to begin with, just built-in port knocking
> capabilities could be considered.
>
> Any thoughts?

In my experence there isn't really a case where the client gets
disconnected (like a crash) and then needs to reconnect.
For me the client always stays enabled, but if there is a problem at
the remote end then packets don't go anywhere.

In other words the traffic might get dropped by the remote (feels like
no traffic *at all*), but I've never seen a situation where I was
accedentially sending unencrypted traffic.

Nicholas